| Forums | Sign Up | Reply | Search | Statistics | Home Page |
Online now: Guests - 2
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 5 [28 Jan 2020 07:28]
Guests - 5 / Members - 0
Integrex General integrexmachinist.com community built on miniBB / Integrex General /

C6 Capto spindle developing cracks

Page:  1  2  »» 
frenchy
Forums Member
#1 | Posted: 12 Mar 2007 13:19
Has anyone had any issues with capto spindles cracking? Ours has developed a crack in each of the 3 small radius areas of the spindle. This is the highest stress area of this taper design!
tool_man_tony
Forums Member
#2 | Posted: 12 Mar 2007 13:54
We utilize KM63XMZ spindles in our shop with good results. There is slight fretting on the taper diameters occasionally. The ATC arms mark up the sides of the tools when ATC alignment is not set properly. I have heard Capto was more accurate and versatile, but nothing about stress fractures.

Maybe someone else on this forum has dealt with this?

Welcome to the forum!
Rodzilla
Forums Member
#3 | Posted: 12 Mar 2007 14:38
we have been using Capto C6 now for about 2 years on our 300 III with now problems I think it might have something to do with the spindle tension not the tooling
integrexman
Admin
#4 | Posted: 12 Mar 2007 19:08
We use KM63 here. I have heard of cracks in the Capto spindles before. What did Mazak say?
frenchy
Forums Member
#5 | Posted: 13 Mar 2007 06:47
Mazak said "Out of Warrenty" sorry. The machine was delivered new Dec. 04 installation was completed Feb. 05, Spindle drive, Feedback unit and spindle was replaced May 05.
Rodzilla
Forums Member
#6 | Posted: 13 Mar 2007 10:23
how many times has the machine been crashed?
AJL6549
Forums Member
#7 | Posted: 15 Mar 2007 06:41
We have a 400 III, I'll check on it and let you know.
frenchy
Forums Member
#8 | Posted: 15 Mar 2007 12:46
It has never been crashed!!
Rodzilla
Forums Member
#9 | Posted: 15 Mar 2007 17:00
holy cow
I don't know what to say , maybe it was Friday when the spindle was made .....hahaha
I asked my sanvic rep about this and he just laughed . he was the one who asked me to ask if the machine had ever been crashed.
suggesting that these spindles have all been properly engineered with stress analysis and all that kind of stuff.
I will mention one thing my Mazak service guy did do to my machine was to slow down the tool change so there is less smashing and bashing during the tool change sequence.
regards
Rod
frenchy
Forums Member
#10 | Posted: 16 Mar 2007 05:53
The tool changer on this machine does tend to thrash and bang around a lot when inserting the tool into the spindle. One thing I don't know is how old the spindle was when it was changed out. As I mentioned above it has been changed once. When the machine was new, it developed a problem where the spindle drive would continually trip out. Mazak felt it was caused by the spindle feed back unit so they changed it. When that didnít cure the problem they tried changing the spindle drive. When that didnít work they changed the Spindle, spindle drive, and feedback unit. This took care of the problem. Both spindle drives and both feedback units were new. The spindle was rebuilt. We elected to go with a rebuilt unit because the lead-time for a new spindle was more than a month and at that time we had been down around three weeks.

I am sure Sandvik and Mazak will never admit to a problem that is why I am asking here.
integrexman
Admin
#11 | Posted: 16 Mar 2007 19:59
If I bought a machine NEW I would insist on a used one now and a new one when it was ready. Who knows how old the replacement spindle was and what had happened to it.

We had a spindle replaced in our Integrex and it would put a mark on the tools (KM63) The service guys didn't think it was a big deal. The mark was in the slot that "Keys" the KM63 tools in the spindle. I had to modify a diamond hone and file down the area that was marking the tools after the service guys left.
sskumar
Forums Member
#12 | Posted: 1 Mar 2011 17:16
We have 2 E800 machine with capto (C6) spindle.For the past 18 months we replaced total spindle by 4 times due to crack.

The MAZAK not put any effort on this problem.The bigger tools hit in any very small acciedent it immediety effects the bottom of the tool.This develop the crack in the spindle.
But in CAT 40 and CAT 50 the small impact loads not causing any problem.

Also the small cracks required to replace the total spindle it cost arround 60000 US dollers.
It is one of the very worst design in the machine tool.

I never find a single advantage in capto spindle

Don't buy Mazak machines.Bont Buy the capto spindle.
Rodzilla
Forums Member
#13 | Posted: 3 Mar 2011 10:15
we have been using capto since 2002 (9 years) and have NEVER had a problem with cracking tools or spindle.
Capto , in my opinion is one of the best if not the best system on the market.
Its only the "youtube" machinist that thinks he knows something but only knows what he sees on the internet and thinks its true that has a different opinion.

also where is YOUR capto made INDIA or what?

Don't buy Mazak machines.Bont Buy the capto spindle
what would you buy then? "a cheep immitation" MORI hahahahah
G code is for the birds (doe doe birds) lol

I crack myself up sometimes

Rodzilla
Pete
Forums Member
#14 | Posted: 3 Mar 2011 12:11
..... ?\$(@?$%#($! I have worked whit evrey system available on an integrex and the Capto system is the best thing a machine can be equipped with. Our 200IV-S is a 2006 and have the original spindle... and have been crashed... The tool change is always realigned to run smoothly.
sskumar
Forums Member
#15 | Posted: 5 Mar 2011 00:09
Dear Mr Rodzilla,

We are using lot of Mazak machines.But all are CAT 40 and CAT 50 spindles.Only two machines E800 we are using CAPTO.In the total of 15 mazak machines the capto spindle only we replaced 3 times in the span of 1.5 years.

Any small hit or accident the tool will break on the neck of the capto.It will develop an explosive shocks and this shock will make the spindle crack.

I am asking few questions.

1.In my experience CAT 50 and capto C6 there is no big advantges.

2. Any small hit is required to replace the total spindle which is 20 % of the new machines cost.Why it is not possible to service the spindle.

3.Even 3 times failure of the capto design what is the alternative solution from Mazak.

4.We made big loss due Mazak E 800 with capto spindle.

5.Now mazak is telling capto is not the design of Mazak but it is the design of someothers.

6.Finaly I need the conversion of Capto spindle to Cat 50 or Cat 40 spindle.Is it possible

Please clarify

SSKUMAR
 Page:  1  2  »» 

:);):-p:-(More smilies...  Disable smilies in post
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Image Link  URL Link 

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please enter your login/password details upon posting a message, or sign up first.

Forums are powered by miniBB®